Synergos in Africa
Synergos has country and regional programs in Southern Africa, the Middle East and North Africa, and Ethiopia, as well as members of our global networks from a dozen countries on the continent.
Synergos Southern Africa Board Members
Mr. Patrick Parring (Chair)
Ms. Wendy Appelbaum
Mr. Robert H. Dunn (Global CEO)
Ms. Peggy Dulany (Global Chair)
Ms. Anne Emmett
Ms. Nicola Galombik
Ms. Bience Gawanas
Ms. Rose Mazula
Mr. Abdul Magid Osman
Mr. Len le Roux (Secretary, Senior Director Southern Africa)
Synergos builds on Africa’s deeply rooted traditions of ubuntu (a person is a person through other persons) and harambee (all pulling together), as well as African aspirations for broad-based community empowerment, to meet the challenges of poverty and social injustice.
Synergos works for systemic change by strengthening collaborative leadership and supporting partnerships that promote equitable access to basic human rights and services. Our programs:
- Reduce the isolation and deepen the social connectedness of children and their caregivers in Mozambique and South Africa
- Improve the health and nutrition of women and children in Namibia
- Strengthening capacity to transform agriculture in Ethiopia and Nigeria
- Support social entrepreneurs and their innovations in North Africa and the Middle East
- Strengthen the capacity of civil society leaders and philanthropists to change the systems that keep people in poverty
- University for a Night in Africa, which brings together leaders to share experiences and learning about development, socially responsible investing and philanthropy.
With staff and representatives in Johannesburg, Windhoek, Cairo, and Addis Ababa, Synergos’ networks and activities reach across diverse regions of Africa. Registered as an NPO in South Africa, Synergos South Africa is part of the global Synergos family, which is headquartered in New York City.