Position Announcement: Finance and Administration Intern
Synergos is a global nonprofit organization that brings people together to solve complex problems of poverty. We work on issues such as health, nutrition, agriculture, education, social entrepreneurship, and youth employment. We help tackle these challenges by creating, promoting, and sustaining collaborations among business, government, civil society, and marginalized communities.
Synergos seeks an intern in its New York City office to work the finance and administration team as they work with the entire staff to operationalize a strategic plan. Times are flexible but a commitment of at least 3 months is expected with a time commitment of 10-15 hours per week. Please note that this internship is unpaid, but reimbursement for public transportation costs will be provided.
For qualified candidates we offer a unique learning experience, exposure to complexities involved in running an dynamic international development agency, relaxed and professional work environment and flexible hours. Interns are welcome to participate broadly in Synergos activities, including all-staff meetings, staff presentations and meetings with external guests.
Depending on their interests and background, Finance interns may obtain skills and experience in:
- Finance and operational functions of a global nonprofit organization
- Financial management and budgeting
- Global auditing
- Financial Management Systems
- Understanding international development and philanthropy
- Develop 2016 organization plan and budget working with Senior Management, program directors and area unit leaders in NY, Ethiopia, Namibia and Middle East.
- Work with CFO and Senior Manager, Finance to refine existing templates and create new templates to facilitate effective collaboration.
- Work with CFO to define work plan and to use available technology to track work and maximize collaboration.
- Extensive knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong accounting and audit background
- An interest in financial management systems
- Prior experience in finance function at nonprofit or strong desire to develop experiences in this area
- Cultural adaptability and ability to interact and function effectively within a multicultural setting
- Strong communication skills
- Well-organized and detail-oriented
- Committed to Synergos’ mission and values.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
No telephone calls please.