Senior Manager, Foundations
Senior Manager, Foundations
New York, NY Preferred / Remote
About the Organization
Synergos is a global non-profit organization solving complex issues around the world by advancing bridging leadership, a style of leadership which builds trust and collective action. Our experience over the last 35 years tells us that collaboration releases more and better solutions than working alone. Today, we help dismantle systems that create the most urgent problems of our time: poverty, social injustice, and climate change. Our work has employed our Bridging Leadership methodology in a variety of areas: drowning prevention in Bangladesh, leadership development in Ethiopia, agricultural development in Nigeria, youth entrepreneurship in MENA, maternal health in Namibia, teen empowerment in South Africa, non-profit capacity building in Brazil and more.
Together with partners in more than 30 countries, Synergos focuses on transforming how people across sectors and divides come together, develop deeper understanding, create shared vision, and take collective action to solve deeply entrenched societal problems. This model can be applied to many areas of social change and especially with networks of philanthropists and civil society leaders.
About the Opportunity
Synergos seeks a Senior Manager, Institutions ("Senior Manager") to lead fundraising activities from institutional sources, mainly foundations, both private and corporate. They will identify funding opportunities and develop partnerships with donors, both US and internationally, to support, sustain and expand our long-term programs. The Senior Manager will work closely with colleagues across the world, notably in Ethiopia, Nigeria, South Africa, Bangladesh and more to identify new funders that are working to address issues such as poverty, climate change and social injustice. They will identify grant opportunities as well as build on existing relationships with the Rockefeller Foundation, Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Gates Foundation and others. Further, the Senior Manager will identify funding opportunities for our global networks such as the Global Philanthropists Circle, the first donor network of its kind established in 2002 by Synergos Founder Peggy Dulany and her late father David Rockefeller Sr. They will also support the funding of the Synergos Global Network, an ambitious plan to bring together all of the connections which Synergos has built over the last 35 years.
This is an exciting and varied role, with exposure to international programs across a range of issues.
Reporting to the Director, Development and Marketing, the Senior Manager will work with a small development team and will actively engage with Country Directors, Philanthropy, and various Program Leaders. They will represent Synergos and its mission, programs, and strategies in meetings with funders, thought leaders and other external stakeholders.
Key ResponsibilitiesStrategic Business Development
- Create and implement a multi-year development plan for institutions to support the organization’s goals and business plans in collaboration with international program colleagues.
- Research, identify, and build relationships with a range of grantors to create a robust pipeline of support for Synergos’ key fundraising objectives.
- Collaborate actively with the CEO, Board of Directors, Philanthropy, Country Directors, and Program Leads to appropriately leverage contacts and involvement to engage with foundation prospects, research funding prospects, identify connections to new funders and funding sources, and develop approaches to ask and build productive relationships.
Donor Stewardship and Administration
- Write grants and cultivate, solicit, and secure gifts through principally private and corporate foundations, but also government and international development agencies where applicable.
- Compose clear, articulate grant proposals and documents that make a reasoned, compelling case supporting the requested contribution, including goals and expected outcomes.
- Collaborate with the development and communications teams to develop personalized communication and stewardship strategies to aid in donor solicitation and cultivation.
- Assure strong policies, practices, and systems for managing the portfolio of donors’ financial reporting, and compliance with donor rules and regulations in a manner that sustains donor confidence in Synergos.
About the Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will be a creative, self-driven and entrepreneurial development professional with a strong understanding of and experience in the private and corporate foundation landscape. The Senior Manager will be a consummate relationship builder with the ability to match the appropriate funder to Synergos’ international portfolio of programs as well as help funders achieve their own philanthropic objectives and other mission critical goals. A candidate with international and institutional fundraising experience is required and at least 3 years of grant-writing experience is required.
A strong candidate would bring/be:
- At least 4 years of experience working in a frontline institutional fundraising role with international experience.
- Proven track record of soliciting and securing 6-7 figure funding commitments and large-scale foundation support.
- Strong knowledge of fundraising principles, high-level gift strategies, operational infrastructure, and philanthropic foundation community particularly those in the realm of international development.
- Outstanding written, listening, and spoken communication skills, demonstrated success in reaching across organization and geographic distances.
- Highly motivated self-starter who is engaging, resilient, and resourceful with the ability to adapt and thrive in an environment of ambiguity and evolution.
- A collaborative, honest, and authentic approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of projects and programs.
- An interest in technology with sound working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics CRM strongly preferred. Knowledge of Monday.com useful.
- The highest standards of ethics, integrity, and values consistent with those of Synergos.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Occasional domestic and international travel possible but not guaranteed.
$75K-$100K plus benefits depending on experience and geographic location.
- We’re driven by purpose. We’re a values-driven organization that’s laser focused on improving lives. around the world by building trust.
- We value you. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- We’re a dynamic community. You’ll work with a diverse, dedicated, compassionate staff and innovative global networks of trust-builders.
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Synergos offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, community service day and much more.
Synergos is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex (including gender identity, nonconformity, presentation or expression), sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic made unlawful to consider by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
In addition, Synergos is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.