Manager, Philanthropy, North America
Manager, Philanthropy, North America
Synergos seeks to recruit a Manager, Philanthropy, North America to provide support on key relationship management, cultivation and program delivery of our Global Philanthropists Circle (GPC) network. This position is a full-time role reporting directly to Managing Director, Philanthropy and will be responsible for the key relationship management and cultivation working alongside with our GPC members and key stakeholders on various member’s activities and initiatives including but not limited to digital and in-person events, workshops and other major program deliveries.
As part of a global matrix team, you’ll contribute to the success of the Philanthropy team as we launch our new organizational strategy and gain valuable experience engaging with our growing members. The ideal incumbent for this role is someone who can work independently and collaborate readily as part of a diverse team, a critical thinker, and someone who performs well in a fast-paced work environment. We are looking for someone who is comfortable with ambiguity, can pivot, work in an agile way and successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a strong attention to detail and an overall commitment to excellence.
This position will be fully remote and does not need to be physically located in our New York office. Preferred location in the West Coast (California, Oregon, Arizona, Texas)
Synergos is a global nonprofit organization solving complex issues around the world by advancing Bridging Leadership, a style of leadership which builds trust and collective action. Our experience over the last 35 years tells us that collaboration releases more and better solutions than working alone. Bridging Leadership represents a paradigm shift in leadership: a movement away from hierarchy, control, and fear toward more inclusive forms of problem-solving; from a world in which power is monopolized to one in which power is shared, enabling more effective interventions and longer-lasting impact. With changes wrought by the pandemic, social justice movements and distrust of authority, we believe now is the time when our model can bring about sustained change.
Together with partners in more than 30 countries, Synergos focuses on transforming how people across sectors and divides come together, develop deeper understanding, create shared vision, and take collective action to solve deeply entrenched societal problems. Our model can be applied to many areas of social change and especially with networks of philanthropists and civil society leaders.
The Global Philanthropists Circle was founded in 2001 by Synergos Founder Peggy Dulany and her late father David Rockefeller Senior as a global network for leading philanthropic individuals and families to collaborate with and learn from their peers. GPC members share Synergos’ commitment to create a more just, equitable, peaceful and regenerative world, as outlined in our Community Agreement. Leading with inner work, we nurture a deep trust among our members and cultivate a brave space to share challenges and shift perspectives as the role of philanthropy continues to transform.
As Manager, Philanthropy, North America you will work in collaboration with the Development team to accomplish revenue and network-building initiatives for current and new members in the following ways
Relationship Management and Member Cultivation
- Work closely with GPC members and other stakeholders on associated activities including digital and in-person meetings, trips, workshops, events, and other engagement opportunities
- Serve as primary relationship manager for approx. 20 GPC member families
- Provide relationship management support for GPC members to connect them with ideas, opportunities, partners and other resources
- With team support, engage and recruit North American philanthropists and social investors to be GPC members
- Develop and execute yearly engagement plans for each family, designed to support their learning, collaboration, connectivity, and overall growth as givers and social innovators
Program Delivery and Facilitation
- Work closely with Synergos colleagues on programs that advance the Synergos mission vis a vis the GPC platform and community
- Collaborate with the global GPC team, implement and facilitate digital or in-person programs for members, with a specific focus on North America
- Build visibility of Synergos and the GPC, representing the network at external philanthropy meetings and cultivating relationships in the space
- Recommend changes to improve systems and procedures when identified
- Stay abreast of current philanthropy and social change best-practices and trends
- Support and contribute to activities throughout the organization to support the implementation of GPC and organizational strategy
- At least 5 years of progressive experience, preferably in philanthropy or related social impact work
- Strong experience in developing in-depth relationship cultivation and management
- Experience in the field of philanthropy, with a strong understanding and perspective on current opportunities and challenges in the field
- Demonstrated experience facilitating programs and / or workshops with diverse stakeholders
- Strong ability to collaborate, partner and work with various stakeholders from varied backgrounds
- Comfort working in a global organization with remote team members
- Responsive in communication, quick to action and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attentive to detail and unafraid to take on all tasks, big and small
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion values and practices
- Self-driven and accountable to project deliverables and outcomes
- Openness to learn and/or use new and multiple technology platforms (such as Teams, Monday.com)
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
Domestic travel required; potential for international travel (NB: Synergos has postponed all staff travel until further notice).
Minimum US$65,000 plus benefits
Why You Should Work at Synergos
- We’re driven by purpose. We’re a values-driven organization that’s laser-focused on improving lives around the world by building trust.
- We value you. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- We’re a dynamic community. You’ll work with diverse, dedicated, compassionate staff and innovative global networks of trust-builders.
Synergos offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, community service day and much more.
Synergos is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex (including gender identity, nonconformity, presentation or expression), sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic made unlawful to consider by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
In addition, Synergos is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws. If you require an accommodation in connection with your application or are contacted for an employment opportunity and require accommodation, please advise email@example.com.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.