Director, Finance & Operations
Director, Finance & Operations
Synergos is seeking a Director, Finance & Operations who is a strong collaborator with effective interpersonal, reflective and analytical skills, able to work seamlessly across cultures, networks and various organizational units. S/he will be a member of the Executive Team with a leadership role in leading an effective and service-oriented financial management infrastructure to ensure alignment between finance, shared services and strategic priorities to sustain a sound financial health of the organization.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director, Finance & Operations, will oversee shared services, including Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations and Administrative Services. S/he will ensure the efficient running of day-to-day operations at all Synergos offices/locations around the world, compliance with all regulatory and funder requirements and lead long-term improvement projects in all aspects of the support functions based on trust and excellent relationship management.
We are a global nonprofit organization that’s deepening trust and collaboration to solve complex causes of poverty. We use our proven approach to help diverse people and organizations around the world work together to achieve lasting change on issues that matter to them.
We foster successful collaborations by building trust, designing and implementing change processes, and enhancing the effectiveness of bridging leaders and institutions. It’s how we create sustainable solutions around the world. We focus on issues with high potential for reducing poverty, and in which coordinated, aligned action by diverse stakeholders has the greatest potential to create opportunities for individuals and communities to thrive. Our programs raise local capacity for collaboration, innovation, and service delivery - helping our partners achieve sustainable progress on important national priorities.
We believe in the power of building trust. It’s how we create sustainable solutions around the world.
Synergos was founded in 1986 and has staff and representatives in Africa, Asia, the Arab World, Europe, Latin America, and the United States.
Reports to the Chief Executive Officer; oversees two direct reports.
- Provide strategy and leadership to enhance the effectiveness and impact of all programs and activities by overseeing all of the organization’s support service functions globally
- Manages processes, controls and vendors responsible for budgeting, fiscal management, financial planning, audit, cash management, investments and any issues of taxation.
- Provide accurate, timely and useful financial information to ensure leadership and programmatic units can carry out their responsibilities effectively
- Oversees HR team responsible for all HR policies, programs, compensation, benefits, and compliance measures that contribute to a high performance, values-based culture
- Oversees IT team to maintain efficient and client-serving technology systems to support all programs and activities, including hardware, software and management information and knowledge management systems
- Supports Operations team to manage vendors and processes responsible for purchasing, property management, contracting, insurance and legal matters
- Serves as a member of the Executive Team, providing counsel about organizational issues of strategy, goals, policies and practices as required
Master’s degree in Finance or equivalent degree is strongly preferred
- Minimum 10 years of hands on leadership that includes at least five years experience managing operations, finance and support functions in a non for profit organization
- Solid finance and/or accounting practices management experience
- Outstanding abilities to develop and implement strategies, manage and mentor staff, manage complex initiatives and oversee budgets, planning financial management and administrative services
- A good understanding of how to conceptualize, frame and guide human resources and organizational development activities
- An intimate knowledge of diverse cultures, experience working with a global staff, and with managing field offices preferred
- A good understanding of information technology management, including a deep understanding of how to match organizational needs with efficient and effective systems
- In depth knowledge of financial applications, databases including Quickbooks Enterprise
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong client service orientation and good listening skills
- Highly professional and rigorous
- Driven, hard-working and strong collaborator
- Team player, open, pleasant to work with and positive in a group dynamic
- Ability to coach, mentor, manage and develop capacity of team members
- Loyal, willing to join a team for a long-term commitment.
- Highest ethical standards
- Flexible and creative: ability to build empathy and trust within the organization and with external stakeholders
- Good interpersonal skills but also judgment independency / autonomy
Why you should work at Synergos
- We’re a values-oriented organization helping create a better world
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits
- You’ll work with diverse, collegial staff and innovative members of our networks around the world
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.