Board Relations Senior Associate
Board Relations Senior Associate
Synergos is a global organization that has pioneered an inclusive, systems-focused approach called bridging leadership. Bridging leadership is a form of leadership practiced by both individuals and organizations that builds trust and collaboration among diverse stakeholders to address systemic challenges. We have used this inclusive approach with partners around the world for 35 years to achieve extraordinary results.
Our renewed purpose is to help dismantle systems that create the most urgent problems of our time: poverty, social injustice, and climate change. Synergos identifies and incubates collaborations that shift power and resources to proximate leaders, enabling the solutions to our greatest human challenges to reach scale. Together with our networks, we will more explicitly focus on equity and social justice as both moral and practical imperatives. These networks include both individual leaders, as well as partner institutions including Synergos affiliates around the world.
Synergos is looking for sharp, detail-oriented Board Relations Senior Associate to work part-time and provide dedicated support to the Co-Executive Director, Chair and Board Relations office who acts as the liaison to the board of directors and coordinates various board activities. They will have complete ownership of the Board calendars including the Chair, will assist with strategic planning and oversee operational planning with regards to the Board meetings. Further, they will be the go-to resource for the team on processes and procedures and should help to escalate urgent matters related to the Board and Co-Executive Directors and serve as a trusted partner. They will review and optimize their priorities, coordinate initiatives to support organizational priority and strategy setting, prepare agendas, take notes, and ensure the alignment of follow up of actions at all key strategic meetings, committee meetings and annual board sessions. This is a good opportunity to learn all aspects of an international non-profit including executive planning, governance, finance, fundraising, strategy, and business development. You will be working in a global and fast-paced environment with passionate team members who are focused on delivering its mission.
Note that this is initially a temporary role that will cover a period of six months and may be subject for extension.
What you'll do
- Provide support to the Board Relations function to strengthen the bridge between the Board and Co- Executive Director leadership
- Manage all logistics related to the long and near-term planning and execution of Board and Board Committee meetings and other related events • Manage meeting-related communications with Board members and internal participants throughout the year
- Take ownership in planning and managing Board agendas and participant lists months in advance of scheduled meetings; maintain calendar of recurring Board and Committee meeting agenda items
- Attend board and committee meetings and take notes, record minutes for all Board and Board Committee including monthly global leadership meetings and prioritize follow-up action items
- Lead project, time, calendar and program management for the Chair and Co-ED fielding internal and external requests, and providing recommendations that reflect business priorities
- Engage in proactive and long-range (2-3 year) calendar and scheduling for key meeting dates and other touch points for all Boards and Committees
- Compile, review and edit board materials, packets and presentations and provide in-person support as applicable
- Schedule and facilitate meetings (zoom, Doodles, etc.) for all Board-related meetings or any web-based meetings/calls with board members
- Assist with new director onboarding and orientation activities as needed • Manage Board-related expense processing, budget planning and reporting
- Maintain comprehensive, accurate records of all Board-related materials (record keeping) and activities and assist with maintenance of minute books
- Manage the administrative aspects of a web-based portal for the storage and maintaining/ updating the Board Leadership section of the Synergos website
- Be heavily involved in leading multiple special projects as required; organize activities that facilitate the achievement of board and management priorities
- Anticipate board needs and manage board processes to ensure all key deadlines are met
- Plan and conduct the annual nominating committee and Board of Directors elections process and update nominating committee charter
- Maintain and update, director election procedures and other governing documents
- Plan and coordinate travel and itineraries for board related meetings and activities as needed
- Handle highly confidential and/or sensitive matters with discretion and tact
- Collaborate with various team leaders as needed to facilitate cross-department communication to drive engagement pertaining to any board related initiatives/relations
- Ability to create and form structure from chaos
Required knowledge and skills
- Typically, 5+ years of experience in a similar role providing support to board or executive management, working with boards/committees on board governance operations in a non-profit setting, highly preferred
- Associate/ degree in business administration, corporate governance, paralegal studies or related field
- Strong business acumen and attention to detail with an understanding of the board relations matters and management
- Strong communication skills, including both oral and written communication with ability analyze and synthesize information
- Have advanced computer skills and be comfortable working with and staying on top of changes to key technologies, such as Adobe, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and search engines
- Be comfortable with technology and able to coordinate independently with IT as appropriate to ensure seamless execution of meetings with participants in multiple locations
- Carry an "event planning" mindset to planning for and executing on all Board-related meetings
- Skill in taking meeting minutes with an appropriate level of detail
- Skill in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with senior leaders and board members
- Skill in organizing and coordinating schedules to ensure efficient and effective use of time • Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Maintain the highest standards of professionalism, discretion, and ethical judgment
Possible domestic travel expected
$30-40/hour based on experience
Why you should work at Synergos
- We’re driven by purpose. We’re a values-driven organization that’s laser-focused on improving lives around the world by building trust.
- We value you. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- We’re a dynamic community. You’ll work with diverse, dedicated, compassionate staff and innovative global networks of trust-builders.
Synergos is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex (including gender identity, nonconformity, presentation or expression), sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic made unlawful to consider by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.