MENA Program Intern
The Synergos Institute is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to the development of effective, sustainable and locally based solutions to poverty. Working with partners, Synergos’ mission is to mobilize resources and bridge social and economic divides to reduce poverty and increase equity around the world.
Synergos currently runs three programs in the Middle East/North Africa region:
- The Alliance for Social Entrepreneurship is a collaborative program to help create and support a robust social entrepreneurship movement in select countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa, with an initial focus on Egypt and Lebanon. Formed with the US Agency for International Development, in collaboration with Ashoka and the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the Alliance will raise awareness about social entrepreneurship and promote an environment that encourages social enterprises
- The Arab World Social Innovators program supports high-impact social entrepreneurs. To date, the program has served nearly 40 exceptional individuals from Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, and the United Arab Emirates, whose programs address serious gaps in education, employment, community development, technology and the environment.
- Mobaderoon Masr/The Pioneers of Egypt represents an investment in young leaders of Egypt who have a key role to play in building a more prosperous future for their country. Over the course of two years, Pioneers of Egypt will expand 50 successful community-led initiatives promoting economic and social change, build the skills and leadership capacity of 200 start-up social entrepreneurs, provide internships to 1,000 Egyptian youth, and increase the visibility and profile of social entrepreneurship in Egypt.
Synergos seeks an intern in its New York City office to provide programmatic, logistics, and communications support for the above three programs. Times are flexible but a commitment of at least 3 months is expected with a time commitment of 10-15 hours per week. Please note that this internship is unpaid, but reimbursement for public transportation costs will be provided.
For qualified candidates we offer a unique learning experience, exposure to our social entrepreneurs, relaxed and professional work environment and flexible hours. Interns are welcome to participate broadly in Synergos activities, including all-staff meetings, staff presentations and meetings with external guests when appropriate and applicable.
- Support program offerings for social entrepreneurs
- Organize visits and program-related meetings, including two orientations
- Organize and update program documentation
- Support the department’s presence in social media and other communications needs (including interviewing social entrepreneurs)
- Support the coordination of systems management among multiple databases
- Depending on their interests and background, MENA interns may obtain skills and experience in:
- Social media and communications
- Working with network members
- Event management
- Issues in international development (specifically social entrepreneurship) and the MENA region
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in the Middle East/North Africa region, particularly the program’s target areas
- Fluent in English; fluency in Arabic highly desirable
- Prior experience in international development
- Cultural adaptability and ability to interact and function effectively within a multicultural setting
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Well-organized and detail-oriented
- Committed to Synergos’ mission and values.
Please send a cover letter, resume and one-page writing sample with a subject line “Application MENA Program Intern” to email@example.com