Senior Associate, Executive Office and Board Relations (Manager-level position)
Synergos is seeking an energetic, talented professional committed to support the office of the President & CEO, Chair of the Board, and Board Relations. The tasks include on a variety of high-level administrative activities including calendar management, travel and other operational functions; and managing discrete strategic initiatives.
This position will report to the Pres. & CEO and will be the working with internal and external stakeholders in executing critical tasks and matters pertaining to organizational strategy and the Executive Office. This role shall require a highly resourceful, detailed-oriented individual who can work in a flexible, collaborative environment with self-motivation and strong analytical and communication skills. This position will be considered a Manager- Level position.
Synergos is a global nonprofit organization that brings people together to solve complex problems of poverty. We work on issues such as health, nutrition, agriculture, education, social entrepreneurship, and youth employment. We help tackle these challenges by creating, promoting, and sustaining collaborations among business, government, civil society, and marginalized communities. Over the course of more than 25 years, Synergos has supported innovative initiatives in more than 30 countries and regions. We have staff and representatives in Africa, the Middle East, Europe, Latin America, and the United States.
About The Opportunity
- Provide executive support in a one-on-one working relationship with the President & CEO and to the Chair, Board of Directors to be more effective in executing their diverse responsibilities
- Partner to the President & CEO, and Board Chair in managing their complex schedules including travel, logistics, expenses and oversee preparation for all meetings
- Serves as the main liaison the Board of Directors and Board Committees and all board relations activities
- Manage special projects including monitoring and tracking progress in operationalizing the organizational strategy
- Prepare Minutes and Progress of Weekly meetings for communications to internal and external stakeholders
- Being knowledgeable about all Synergos program and activities and works collaboratively to integrate programs and major stakeholders
- Complete a broad variety of tasks for the President and CEO including developing systems to ensure a high level of efficiency for the President & CEO and Chair such as managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports and time sheets; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas; compiling documents, including PowerPoint presentations, briefing notes for travel related-meetings
- Monitor and screen all incoming email, mail, calls, speaking requests
- Prepares and compose correspondences, acknowledgment letters on behalf of the Pres. & CEO and communicates directly with Board Members, donors and other external relations on his/her behalf
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication and integration between the Executive Office and internal programs and units; demonstrating leadership to maintain integration
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to success of the organization and manages a variety of special projects for the President & CEO which may have organizational impact.
- Manage special projects at the request of the CEO, Board Chair, or Global Leadership Team, such as: research projects, creating materials to advance or support the on-going strategy work, leading or coordinating internal staff committees, research for meeting briefs or future projects and partnerships.
- Manage the Executive Office annual budget
- Maintain good relations with other Synergos staff and diverse international external constituencies
- Lead the hiring process for Executive Office interns and manage interns along with the CEO
- Assist and coordinate as appropriate, follow up activities for the CEO
- Perform other assignments that may be delegated by the CEO
- Serves as the President’s liaison to the Synergos Board of Directors
- Plan and coordinate the Board of Directors meetings and all preceding Committee meetings, including: prepare and distribute advance materials and Minutes for all board and board committee meetings; manage all logistics for the meetings, including Director travel; manage meeting follow-up;
- Oversee and adhere to compliance with director accountability policies and all applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws and board committee matters (e.g. helping the Nominating Committee identify and vet new candidates) including advance distribution of agenda, materials
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board of directors
Global Leadership Team (GLT)
- Participates in weekly GLT meetings and responsible in scheduling meetings, coordinating agenda and synthesizing and documenting minutes
- Coordinate knowledge management systems for the Executive Office and Global Leadership Team
- Manage the Executive and Board Relations portal site
- Contribute to the development of a values-based culture at Synergos
- Work closely with the GLT and collaborate with all of the organization’s program and non-program operations including Communications, Development, Finance and Operations in tracking and monitoring all ongoing strategic activities, work plans and initiatives related to the execution of Synergos strategy
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 3-5 years related work experience supporting C-level executives preferably in an international development and or nonprofit organization
- Experience living abroad beneficial and knowledge of the international development sector strongly preferred
- Excellent judgment, analytical skills and interpersonal relationship skills;
- Ability to think at strategic and operational levels
- Comfortable working with stakeholders across sectors and from diverse cultures around the world with the ability to build informal working relationships and mobilize people at all levels towards collaborative goals
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) to convey complex information appropriately to stakeholders with different backgrounds and needs, both oral and written
- Outstanding organizational and administrative skills, including attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment and in the face of ambiguity
- Self-starting, willing to take initiative and display project management leadership, but also a good team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Prior experience and responsibility for research and writing
- Demonstrated capacity to design and manage information and knowledge management systems
- Experience in developing and managing budgets
- Computer literate with a high degree of competence in Microsoft office software products and CRM
- Demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards
- A passion for the Synergos mission and values
- Proficiency in Spanish, Arabic or Chinese is a plus
- A sense of humor
Why You Should Work at Synergos
- We’re a values-oriented organization helping create a better world
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits
- You’ll work with diverse, collegial staff and innovative members of our networks around the world
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Synergos Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.