Synergos seeks a communications professional to help document and disseminate information and stories about its work. This newly-created position is designed to help Synergos make better use of diverse communications platforms to share its knowledge, experience and outcomes and impacts both internally and externally.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent interviewer and writer, capable of producing material in a range of lengths and formats for diverse audiences and mediums. He or she will have the ability to synthesize and present complex information in ways that are understandable and easily shared by others, documenting stories and learning that inspire reflection and action.
This person will collect and share information about the work, accomplishments, and learning of Synergos and members of our global networks. The purpose of this is to strengthen our reputation and fundraising, support our body of practice and programs, and promote learning both inside and outside our organization about innovative efforts to overcome poverty around the world. In addition, he or she will provide general communications and administrative support as a member of our Development & Communications department.
About the Synergos Institute
Synergos helps solve the complex problems of poverty and inequality by promoting and supporting collaborations among business, government, civil society, and marginalized communities. We create the conditions for these partnerships to be successful by building trust, designing and implementing change processes, enhancing the effectiveness of bridging leaders and institutions, and sharing our knowledge and experience. Over the course of more than 25 years, Synergos has supported innovative initiatives in more than 30 countries and regions.
Synergos headquarters in New York City.
Reports to the Senior Manager, Communications.
- Frequent and regular contact, including through interviews and other methods, with Synergos program units and key members of our global networks about their work, accomplishments and learning
- Writing news and updates on the work, accomplishments, and learning of Synergos staff and members of our global networks for a variety of media, including our website, public and private social media, emails and newsletters, annual reports, brochures, speeches, presentations and other forms/outlets.
- Producing or helping produce more complex knowledge products such as case studies, journal articles, sourcebooks, white papers, and training materials
- Curating, repackaging and sharing information from public media and Synergos social media that might support our learning, outreach, fundraising and programs
- Assisting in layout, production, and dissemination of materials described above
- Producing or helping guide production of materials for event and fundraising campaigns
- Assisting staff and members of our global networks to improve the quality and consistency of their communications through creation of templates, style guides, libraries of standard information, how-tos, copyediting and proofreading, and co-authoring materials
- Day-to-day management of websites and social media, including regular updating and monitoring
- Ongoing monitoring of reach and impact of Synergos communications, including creation of regular reporting
- Managing lists of contacts and subscribers
- Helping develop and implement internal editorial, content management, and digital asset management strategies and procedures
- Helping administer relations with vendors including writers and researchers, photographers and videographers, developers, designers, and printers
- General administrative and communications support for special events
- Assisting in creation of communications strategies, plans and messages
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least three to five years of professional experience in communications, journalism, knowledge management or other activity with substantial responsibility for writing or reporting
- Excellent writer and editor in English with the ability to write compelling and insightful material for wide range of audiences
- Excellent interviewing skills - including the ability to connect to people from a wide ranges of backgrounds and cultures
- Skills in graphic or web design, video production, photography, knowledge management, content management, communications/social media analytics, events marketing, or fundraising, a plus
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects
- Team player with good interpersonal skills, able to work within and manage diverse groups
- Demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values consistent with those of Synergos
- Work or educational experience in the developing world or work experience in the fields of philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, or non-profit work in the developed world
- Fluency in languages in addition to English - particularly Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic - a plus
Why You Should Join Synergos
- We’re a values-oriented organization helping create a better world
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits
- You’ll work with diverse, collegial staff and innovative members of our networks around the world
- You’ll have opportunities to advance your communications abilities for a range of different mediums and purposes.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and two samples of writing produced for different audiences to email@example.com. Please indicate in letter where you saw this announcement.
The Synergos Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to hire well-qualified applicants from diverse candidate pools.